The course opened in 1904 when a group of Bristol based businessmen and politicians seized the opportunity provided by the development of improved transport facilities to lease from the Earl of Temple, at a rate of £325 per annum, the land we play on to this day.
An initial course was laid out and this was further improved within a year following extensive advice from none other than Harry Vardon.
During the 1914-1918 War, the course was used extensively for farming to such an extent that only 9 holes were usable for 5 years until the ravages of the war years had been repaired. The years between the wars were a constant battle for survival and it was largely due to the generosity of the members that the club remained in existence.
During World War 2, the clubhouse became the HQ of “ Dad’s Army” and posts were sunk into most of the fairways to prevent enemy aircraft landing.
Following the war, the club’s energies were devoted mainly to negotiating modest rental increases from our new landlords, the Duchy of Cornwall, who had purchased the land in 1941. In the early 1960s the then Club Professional, Leslie Mouland masterminded the first significant changes to the course since its establishment. In 1978 the new 11th was introduced and we said goodbye to “Heartbreak Hill”, a par 3 which was played from the behind the current 17th green up to the present 17th tee.
In the nineties, the course was given its current layout with the introduction of the new 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 10th and 17th holes and new greens on holes 1, 4, 5 and 18.
The new clubhouse was built in 1984 and the extension was opened in 1991. The club passed its centenary in 2004 and continues to go from strength to strength, enhancing its reputation as one of the leading clubs in the South West, having played host to National, Regional and County events.